Scheduler running in background?

Have an idea? Let us know here and we'll do our best to implement it.

Scheduler running in background?

Postby bazy » 09 Mar 2013, 11:42

Hi,

I purchased wikirobot two days ago, i think is the best wiki tool that i have ever tested before (yes i am still in testing process :P)

Once i tested manual registration, email verification etc.. i went to schedule few projects.

Created first project, waited to start and once started the registration i am not able to do anything on the software for now, i mean i have a huge test site lists 30k where to registers and i have to wait for wiki robot to register on all sites "one time".

My Recommendation:
Make scheduled project to run in background so users can add more projects and do other stuff with wikirobot. That's why its called "Scheduler" so you can really schedule all of your projects and let them run as for your needs and at the same time to run manual projects if needed (quick projects)

Wiki robot should use threads depending on how many projects you run. If i set 50 threads at the same time and i have 5 scheduled project then wikirobot should allocate 10 threads for each. Also if i want to run a manual campaign then wiki robot should use around 8 threads for each project and so on. Or you guys can make to set project priority "High" "Normal" "Low".

Hope everything i wrote make sense :)

Till to next recommendations..
bazy

Re: Scheduler running in background?

Postby vision2003 » 11 Mar 2013, 12:06

bazy wrote:Hi,

I purchased wikirobot two days ago, i think is the best wiki tool that i have ever tested before (yes i am still in testing process :P)

Once i tested manual registration, email verification etc.. i went to schedule few projects.

Created first project, waited to start and once started the registration i am not able to do anything on the software for now, i mean i have a huge test site lists 30k where to registers and i have to wait for wiki robot to register on all sites "one time".

My Recommendation:
Make scheduled project to run in background so users can add more projects and do other stuff with wikirobot. That's why its called "Scheduler" so you can really schedule all of your projects and let them run as for your needs and at the same time to run manual projects if needed (quick projects)

Wiki robot should use threads depending on how many projects you run. If i set 50 threads at the same time and i have 5 scheduled project then wikirobot should allocate 10 threads for each. Also if i want to run a manual campaign then wiki robot should use around 8 threads for each project and so on. Or you guys can make to set project priority "High" "Normal" "Low".

Hope everything i wrote make sense :)

Till to next recommendations..

Hi bazy,

Thanks for letting us know what you think. :)

WikiRobot locks down during actions by design. We could allow users to do other stuff while actions are running in the background but that could cause some issues, slow downs, etc. so we decided to go this way. If you want to run manual projects in the meantime you can run another instance (or as many instances as you want) of WikiRobot although we don't guarantee the performance since there could be some database lockups (e.g. one instance of WikiRobot is writing to the database (and there is a lot of writing if you are running it on 200 threads), while the second instance wants to read the same data - in this case the second instance will have to wait until the fist instance finishes the write cycle). The upper limit of a database (that means the same .sdf database file) is 255 simultaneous connections. If you want more than that (and your computer and connection can handle this), you can copy/paste WikiRobot to another folder. This way you get 2 separate databases.

I kinda don't see the point in having projects run simultaneously and sharing the max. amount of threads. If you want more granularity, schedule your projects at smaller time frames. E.g. instead of scheduling projects to do 1000 posts once a day, schedule them to 42 posts an hour. If you schedule your projects this way, each will have max. amount of threads for the given time and finish faster. After that next project will kick in:

project1 registration (42 sites) -> project1 posting (42 sites) -> project2 registration (42 sites) -> project2 posting (42 sites) -> ....

I hope you understand what I mean.

Also if some project is scheduled and other project is running at that time, scheduler will take care to run that project after the current one finishes the operation. It's all been taken care of.
vision2003
WikiRobot Team

Return to Feature Requests